From 4 May 2023, voters in England will need to show photo ID to vote at polling stations in some elections.
This will apply to:
• Local elections
• Police and Crime Commissioner elections
• UK parliamentary by-elections
• Recall petitions
From October 2023 it will also apply to UK General elections.
Please note: the photo ID requirements only apply to box voters, and the existing verification process for postal vote applications remains unchanged.
What Photo ID will be accepted at polling stations?
The following forms of photo ID will be accepted (note that some additional forms of ID only applicable to Northern Ireland have been omitted):
• Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country;
• Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional driving licences)
• A blue badge
• Older Person’s Bus Pass
• Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
• Oyster 60+ Card
• Freedom Pass
• Scottish National Entitlement Card
• 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
• Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
• Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
• Biometric immigration document
• Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
• National identity card issued by an EEA state
If you don’t have accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document (Voter Authority Certificate).
The following information is required in order to apply for a voter authority certificate:
• Name and address;
• Date of birth
• National Insurance number
• A passport style photograph which is a true likeness of the elector
Applications for voter authority certificates must be submitted no later than 5pm on the sixth working day before poll, which for the May 2023 elections will be 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
Find out more about accepted forms of photo ID, how to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate, and what to expect on polling day: shorturl.at/agxBU