Report Fly Tipping
Fly-tipping or the unauthorised dumping of waste is an environmental crime.
Every day in the Brentwood area there are on average 3 fly-tips. They are usually carried out in the quiet rural areas and can vary from 200+ tyres to a tipper-load of builders' rubble.
As well as being a blight on the environment it costs Brentwood ratepayers in excess of £50,000 per annum for collection and disposal. The Council is introducing fixed penalty notices in addition to our existing powers of prosecution to provide additional means of enforcement for less serious offences including litter and flytipping.
The most important rule to remember is not to approach anybody flytipping. The flytippers are carrying out an illegal act and may become violent.
Note the following:
- Date and time (What time did the offence commence? How long did the fly-tip take?)
- Location of the fly-tip.
- Details of the fly-tippers (What they looked like. Did you recognise them?)
- Description of the vehicle (Make, colour and registration)
- What was your location when viewing the fly-tip? (How far away and could you see clearly)
- What was dumped? (Do not touch the waste and do not remove any evidence)
- How much was dumped?
- What was the weather like? (Clear, cloudy, sunny or dark)
- Anyone else with you?
- Note as many of the details as you can and contact Brentwood Borough Council.
Please supply the above details, even if you don't wish to act as a witness. Anonymous messages can be left on the Council's hotline. If someone is found guilty of fly-tipping they could face imprisonment or a fine of up to £50,000.
- Town Hall, Ingrave Road
- CM15 8AY
- Telephone: 01277 312 500