History of the Parish Council
Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council was formed in 1895, following the passing of the Local Government Act in 1894. The Act created civil parishes, separating them from the church, giving them surprisingly few duties but many and wide ranging powers to work for the benefit of their communities. Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council got to work straight away to acquire land for allotments in 1895 and a cemetery at Fryerning in 1899.
Boundary changes in 1972 meant that the Parish became part of the Brentwood District, rather than Chelmsford, and Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council is the largest of the nine parishes within the Borough of Brentwood.
The modern parish council is a corporate body with the power to raise money by taxation (the precept). It is an elected tier of local government and has an important role to play in representing the interests of the community it serves to improve quality of life.
Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council has eleven elected members who took office in May 2015 and four co-opted members. The Council’s responsibilities include:
Its income is made up mainly from the precept, a discretionary grant from Brentwood Borough Council, burial fees and hire of the Pavilion. We have also been successful in recent years in obtaining capital grants for specific projects.
Its office at Suite 1, 4 The Limes, Ingatestone, Essex, CM4 0BE is run by three part time staff; A Parish Clerk who is also the Responsible Financial Officer, an Assistant Clerk who is responsible for cemetery management and an Administrative Assistant.